In 1986, Dr. Oz obtained a joint MD and MBA degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and The Warton School. Dr. Oz recently came back to his old stomping ground to deliver the MBA class of 2012 commencement speech in which he exclaimed, “Graduation is a time to reflect on the meaning of success and what will make you happy.” He then offered his “Top Ten Tips for Success and Happiness.” They are as follows:
10. Every day feel productive and challenged in a way tailor made for your unique desires and strengths
9. Generate an expertise in an area other than the profession in which you earn your living
8. Develop a system for a living your life, meeting challenges and evaluating opportunities.
7. Find a mentor, evaluation their strengths and weaknesses, and cop[y their positive attributes.
6. Whatever you choose, do it fully with passion and child-like enthusiasm
5. No one is a jerk on purpose. Let people surprise you.
4. Recognize relationships need to keep growing and partners should positively influence each other.
3. Never forget that the body is the temple of the soul.
2. Live in the present. Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why they call it the present.
1. Make the driving force in your life love, even more than wisdom. Humans die, not of darkness but of cold.
Whether you are a recent graduate and about to get your first big job or a new freshman embarking on a journey, follow your heart and success will find you.