Saturday, August 16, 2014

How Did I Become a "S" Word Already?


As most can agree, college comes and goes in a blink of an eye.  I never thought I would see the day when I became a dreaded “S” word, a senior. It is almost unbelievable that I am heading into my final year as an undergrad this fall.  During my time here at Temple, I definitely gained skills and knowledge that have helped me advance as a student and prospective graduate.  However, there are a few things I wish I started sooner and opportunities I wish I took advantage of earlier.  So for those incoming freshman, whom I am greatly jealous of, here is a letter to you on your first day.

Dear Incoming Freshman,

Before you know it, you are going to be a senior.  Yes you will be called the dreaded “S” word.  Now, do not worry, although these years fly by, they will also be the best years of your life.  Here are some tips to help with your first year.

1.     It is okay to not know what you should major in right away.  So if you are not sure join any club, group, organization that sparks your interest.  If it relates to what you end up majoring, great.  If it has nothing to do with it, that’s cool too.  As long as you put yourself in positions to meet new people and learn new things, you will be benefiting.

2.     Go to office hours!  My best papers/grades have been from meeting with my professors and asking for help when I did not understand.

3.     Relating to tip number two, professors are great mentors.  One thing I am very appreciative is the relationship I have with one of my professors.  She has helped me with cover letters, internship questions and other class work.  The people teaching you have the skills and experience that can be of great value to you even outside of classroom topics

4.     Avoid buying books from the bookstore.  90% of the time you can find them cheaper online and save a lot of money.

5.     Manage your time so you can get the grades and still go out.  College is all about time management.  There is such thing as having enough time in the day for school, good grades, and fun.

6.     Enjoy every second.  These next four years are going to fly right by.

So, I hope you go into your first day of college beyond excited and ready to take on the challenge.  Although the dreaded senior year will creep up on you sooner than you think, appreciate the opportunity you have been given and make these years the best years of your life. Good Luck!

Any other "S" words have advice for incoming freshman? Leave your tips in the comments! 

This guest blog post was written by PRowl staff member Brittany Barish. 

No comments: