Friday, June 19, 2015

What does it mean to have a “PR Vibe”?

http://guardianlv.com/

Last week, I was running errands and stopped in a pharmacy. Slightly exhausted from the week of interning and working at various positions, I was sure that I looked a bit unkempt at best.

Upon reaching the register, I began to have a conversation with the cashier, which eventually led her to ask me what my major was in college. When I said “public relations”, she smiled knowingly, and responded “that makes sense, you have a PR vibe”.

Not quite sure what she meant, I chalked it up to a compliment, and continued through my day. However, looking back at the conversation, I wondered what constitutes having a PR vibe.

After careful consideration, I believe that what makes PR folk recognizable is our open nature and ability to multi-task.

These two traits are shared among the best up and coming PR professionals, and are important for individuals to have in order to succeed in the field.

Specifically, mastering the art of communicating with anyone is incredibly important for PR jobs. If you work for an agency and have to speak to clients, press contacts, and more, you should be able to do so with ease.

Also, multi-tasking is an integral part of PR. Balancing multiple tasks at once is what PR folk are known for, and it comes in handy when hundreds of emails are flooding your inbox in a week and meetings are popping up on your calendar months in advance.

There is also something to be said about being exhausted. As a PR professional, you are going to be worn down and often feel as though the weight of the world is on your shoulders. However, what immediately makes a PR professional noticeable is their willingness to exceed expectations and continue working, even if they are ready to fall asleep at their desk!


So, if you are ever told you have a “PR vibe” about you, take it as a compliment. It most likely has nothing to do with the bags under your eyes, but rather your commitment to the field!

No comments: